Ingredients for the Rub
2 Tablespoons Dried Ancho Chile
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
2 Cloves of Minced Garlic
- Combine instructions above in small bowl. Fillet the Top Round in half if it’s more than 1-inch thick. Apply olive oil to both sides of steak. Generously season with rub on all sides.
- Start grill (we use a Traeger Pellet Grill) to high, at least 450F. Grill until internal temperature is 145F, or to preferred taste/texture. Time-wise, it can take 12 minutes per side. Shoot for a nice even sear on both sides.
- Pull off the grill and let rest 10 minutes. Top each steak with a small dollop of butter just as the steak is coming off the grill for extra flavor.
- Once rested, slice on a large cutting board with a sharp utility knife against the grain of the meat. Then use a meat cleaver to chop into smaller pieces for tacos.
- We warm the tortillas in a cast iron skillet for 10 seconds per side on high, or in a toaster oven (if we’re pressed for time!).
For taco fixings, we like:
- Diced white onion
- Diced jalapeno (some seeds/veins left in for heat!)
- Diced cilantro
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Finely Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Quartered lemons to squeeze for zesty flavor
Check out more of our recipe collection.
Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links.