If you’re devoted to cooking outdoors, you probably already know that half the work is in preparation. And there’s nothing worse than trying to cut with a dull knife. In fact, it can be downright dangerous. So, if it’s time to upgrade, this post is for you!
Surveying a few of the top eCommerce sites, we found these highly-rated, best-selling knives. We then read through customer reviews, and scanned through customer feedback on social media.
Here are the top five types of knives and cutlery we think every serious BBQ, grill, or smoker owner should consider owning. We include name brands here, but surely there are deals to be had on lesser known names as well.
1. Shun Chef’s Knife – This is your most versatile knife, whether in the kitchen, or in your backyard. It’s the go-to for slicing, chopping, dicing, and just about every other big food prep task. Find on eBay or Amazon. See all best selling chef’s knives.
2. Wusthof Gourmet Paring Knives Set – These high-carbon stainless steel blades give you more dexterity and precision than the larger chef’s knife. This is our go-to for peeling, trimming, and scoring. Removing silver skin from baby back ribs? This is the knife we use. Find on eBay or Amazon. See all best selling paring knives.
3. Dexter-Russell Heavy Cleaver – When we need to chop or cut through bone, we reach for the cleaver. You can seesaw through most small to medium sized chopping jobs with a sharp chef’s knife. But when it’s time to hack, the cleaver is clutch. Find on eBay or Amazon.
4. Wusthof 4pc Stainless Steel BBQ Set – Wusthof is synonymous with quality. If you buy a cheap BBQ set, you’re likely going to have to replace it every other year. This set is made to last, and has all the essentials for the backyard chef. Find on eBay.
5. J.A. Henckels Carving or Slicing Knife – If you like sliced brisket, loin, or roast, this knife will do the trick. If you’re putting in the time to smoke any of these fine cuts, you want a knife that’s going to slice with ease. Find on eBay or Amazon.
BONUS: Don’t forget a cutting board!
Did we miss your favorite brand, knife, or set? Leave us a reply below, or send us a note through our Contact Us form.
Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links.