Some like it hot! So we finally broke down and wrote out our smokey, spicy, and HOT dog recipe for you all. This is a great weeknight delight. Easy to make. Can be done in as little as 30 minutes. And if there are any leftovers, these hold well for a lunch the next day (toppings on the side). Without further ado…
3 Costco Polish Dogs
3 Large Hoagie or French Rolls
3 Tablespoons Softened Unsalted Butter
3 Tablespoons Jalapeno Cream Cheese
3 Tablespoons Diced Jalapenos (fresh or pickled, mild or hot to taste)
3 Teaspoons of Grunt Rub or all-purpose seasoning salt
Half red or white onion diced
3 Tablespoons Sour Cream
1 Cup of Medium Cheddar Cheese
2 Tablespoons minced cilantro
SPONSORED AD: Take 15% Off Tappecue Wifi Thermometer through Jan. 8 with this special offer. Hurry, offer is only good while supplies last!
1) Butter buns with unsalted butter, and dust with Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub or all-purpose seasoning salt.
2) Use Slotdog or a sharp knife to score the polish dogs.
3) Put pre-heated grill or BBQ for a 15 minute smoke bath. Once dogs have desired smokiness, turn up grill to 375F and and grill until puffy and expanded, or turning until crispy perfection (about 15 minutes).
4) When you turn up the grill to 375F in step above, add three pieces of thick cut bacon to a Lodge Cast Iron Pan and place on the grill or a side burner (at medium heat). Flip pieces a few times to get crispy all around.
5) When bacon starts to crisp, add diced jalapenos to cast iron pan on top of bacon.
6) Add buns to top rack of grill, buttered side facing down, to toast for 3-4 minutes.
7) Remove everything from grill when it’s finished cooking. (Hot dogs should read 165F on an instant read thermometer; bacon should be crisp). Pat bacon dry with a paper towel, and wrap around the polish dogs, or crumble for topping.
8) Slather both sides of the toasted buns with jalapeno cream cheese.
9) Add jalapenos from cast iron pan to top of dogs.
10) Top with optional sides: Cheddar cheese, sour cream, onions and cilantro.
A bonus twist on this recipe: Use pretzel rolls!
Follow us on Instagram for more food photos like: @RendezvousBBQ
Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links.