Give your chicken some wood-fired sizzle and kick with this recipe! We love our fajitas with a hint of hickory smoke, but you can go with more or less, depending on your preferences. We also like that restaurant-style sizzle! Here’s how to make them at home on your Traeger or pellet grill…
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 White Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons Backdraft Rub by Code 3 Spices (or pre-made fajita mix)
- 8 Small Flour Tortillas
Optional for EXTRA Kick:
- 1 teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 Jalapeno diced
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Hot Sauce
- Start Traeger or Pellet Grill on Smoke. Turn up to 450F when fire established.
- Pre-heat a cast iron skillet on your grill for 10-15 minutes until smokin’ hot.
- Using a chef’s knife or utility knife, slice chicken breasts into cubes or strips.
- Slice green peppers and onions; dice jalapeño if using for extra heat.
- Add vegetable oil to pan. It should be sizzling hot.
- Add veggies to pan and close lid for 2 minutes.
- Open grill door and stir. Repeat a few times until veggies are tender.
- Remove veggies to a bowl and set aside.
- Add chicken breast to pan, and brown thoroughly on all sides. Add chili flakes. Bring to a bubbling boil.
- Cook on high until internal temp on an instant read thermometer on the thickest piece in the pan reads 160F. Usually 10-12 minutes. Drain liquid.
- Dust cooked chicken in pan liberally with Backdraft Rub or pre-made fajita mix. Add 1/4 cup of water. Stir vigorously. Add rub until pieces are coated thoroughly and orange in color.
- Add back veggies and stir in to pan with chicken to warm.
- Remove pan from grill.
- Warm tortillas on grates; 30 seconds/side, or until bubbling.
- Add 1/4 cup of fajita filling to each tortilla. Add desired toppings.
Like this recipe? Check out more from RendezvousBBQ.com here.
See also Traeger Grills: Sizzling Fajitas with Grilled Skirt Steak
Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links.